What Are The Traditional Holi Colours?
Holi is during a change in season and the most traditional colours used have a medicinal effect to keep off germs and illness. This goes back to traditional ayurvedic practices as well.
Neem gives a light green shade, kumkum gives deep red, turmeric for yellow and bivla for a mustard tone.
Other traditional colours are:
- Green can be derived from mehndi (henna)
- Red and orange can be taken from palash or tesu tree leaves, as well as sandalwood or dried hibiscus flowers
- Yellow, as well as from turmeric (haldi) can be extracted from marigold flowers
- Blue from some types of berries, blue hibiscus, and jacaranda flowers
- Purple from boiled beetroot
- Brown from dried tea leaves
Natural colours are not only better for the environment, but they are easier to clean and also provide a few medicinal benefits at the same time. That’s why I prefer them over synthetic colours!